Getting a job at Costco can be quick for some, but the length of the entire recruitment process can differ wildly. On average, how long is the Costco hiring process?
For a typical Costco position in a warehouse, it takes about a week or so for Costco to hire during the hiring season, or if the location in question is actively looking for employees. If the Costco location isn’t looking for new employees, then it may take up to a month, or longer.
You’ll have to go through at least one in-person interview, and up to 3 interviews total. Oftentimes, these interviews are combined together or shortened, so you can be done in one day if you’re lucky.
In this article, we try to break down the entire process of getting hired at Costco, from your online application to being called for orientation.
The Costco Application Process: Timeline and Steps
- Online Application (30 minutes to an hour). The first step in the Costco hiring process is to submit an online application through their website. This usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour to complete. You can find the application links on the main Costco jobs page.
- First Interview (2-5 days after application). After submitting your application, you may receive a call within 2-5 days to schedule your first Costco interview if you’ve applied during the hiring season or for an open position. This interview may consist of scenario-based questions and can last anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour.
- Second Interview (same day to a few days later). Depending on the urgency to fill the position and the location you’re applying to, you may have a second interview on the same day or a few days later. This interview is usually shorter, lasting from a few minutes to about 20 minutes, and may involve more scenario-based questions or a job offer followed by a drug test.
- Background Check (3-5 days, up to 2-3 weeks during busy seasons). Once you’ve completed the interviews, Costco will conduct a background check. This typically takes about 3-5 days but can extend up to 2-3 weeks during busy seasons. If you’re concerned about the progress, it’s a good idea to call your local Costco during weekdays between 10 am and 12 pm when managers are less busy.
- Job Offer (within a week to a few weeks after the final interview): If you’ve successfully passed the interviews and background check, you can expect a job offer from Costco within a week, especially if the position is in high demand. In cases where the location isn’t actively hiring or it’s a busy season, the offer may take a few weeks or longer to arrive.
Keep in mind that these timelines can vary based on factors like store location, hiring needs, and your experience. Being proactive and following up on your application or after your interviews can help you stay on top of the process and demonstrate your eagerness for the position.
Factors Affecting the Hiring Timeline
Several factors can affect the hiring timeline at Costco. Understanding these factors will give you a better idea of what to expect during the application process and help you prepare accordingly.
Store Location and Hiring Needs
If the store is actively looking for new employees or is in the midst of a hiring season, the process will likely be quicker, and you may receive a call for an interview within 2-5 days of submitting your application. On the other hand, if the store isn’t actively hiring, it may take a few weeks or even longer to hear back.
An applicant’s previous work experience can also impact the hiring timeline. For candidates with a wealth of experience, the process may be more involved, as hiring managers will have more questions and may require additional interviews to assess the applicant’s suitability for the role.
In contrast, those with little or no experience may find the hiring process to be shorter, as there will be fewer questions related to previous roles.
Background Check Complexity
Background checks typically take about 3-5 days to complete, but during busy seasons or for applicants with a more complicated background, this process can extend to 2-3 weeks.
If the background check takes longer than expected, you can always contact the store during weekday mornings to inquire about the progress and demonstrate your continued interest in the position.
How Long for Costco to Reply With an Offer After the Final Interview?
If you’ve applied for the position that Costco is actively trying to fill in, then you should hear within a week, and you’ll get called for the orientation. If however, the location you applied at isn’t actively hiring, or it’s a busy season, then it may take a few weeks or longer.
This time can be shorter for seasonal workers, sometimes only a few days after your final interview and a drug test.
Should you call if it’s been too long after your final interview?
While it’s not a bad idea to give them a call if it’s been a week after your final interview, it might be even better to stop by your Costco location and check with the manager. Do it on the weekday morning, otherwise, a manager might a bit too busy to talk to you.
Will the Hiring Process Be Longer if You Have No Experience?
The hiring process will actually be shorter, because of several things. First, you don’t have to fill in the application form related to your experience. Second, the managers will have fewer questions to ask you if you had no previous roles in retail or elsewhere. And third, they’ll take it easier on you, especially if you’re younger.
Just remember to research the position you’re applying for, research Costco as a company, and practice answering the questions for the Costco interview. They’ll help you prepare and get that job whether seasonal or full-time.
What Factors Can Affect the Length of the Costco Hiring Process?
Factors affecting the length of the Costco hiring process include store location and hiring needs, the applicant’s experience, and background check complexity.
What Are Some Tips for Speeding Up the Costco Hiring Process?
To speed up the Costco hiring process, apply during the hiring season, proactively follow up on your application, and prepare well for interviews.
How Long to Start Working After Accepting a Job Offer at Costco?
After accepting a job offer at Costco, you may start working within a week or two, depending on factors like orientation scheduling and store-specific requirements.